Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Why you shouldn't remember anything, ever!

I stopped trying to remember anything about 3 years ago and it is the best thing that I have ever done. There are things that everyone needs to remember but we try to retain everything for no apparent reason.
Memory is deceptive because it is colored by today's events. -Albert Einstein
I have a process of regular tasks that I have set to recur on a regular basis. This keeps my processes optimized. This also allows me to not remember any of the mundane tasks, as long as they are necessary.

These regular tasks also give my mind the freedom to think up new ideas and solutions to my current problems. I address freeing brain ram in a previous post. I have listed my regular project list below, and I will go into each of these in more detail.

  • Plan Day
  • pick goals for the day
  • Clean out Inbox
  • Address > 2 Minutes Activities
  • Address Waiting
  • Update Time management blog/page
  • Write entry in appreciation journal
  • Make sure all projects are up to date and are not stale
The Plan Day & Pick goals for the day were discussed in a previous post.

Email
I have email tasks broken up into the various sections because this can become such a large task. The first thing I do when addressing my inbox is I go through the entire thing. If your inbox has grown too large to do this, you may have a problem. I discuss email management in a previous post.
My tasks are:
Clean out Inbox
Address > 2 Minutes Activities
Address Waiting

I have all the different parts of my email in a regular tasks section. This is one less thing to remember and assures that I will not neglect a section "I don't want to deal with" because "I forgot". Getting focused is discussed here.

Write entry in appreciation journal
I have found that if I start my day writing down all the things I appreciate, I am much more positive through out my day. I would strongly recommend it.

Update Time management blog/page
This is what you're reading right now. Yes, I have to schedule writing a blog post. If you notice a large gap in my posts, that is likely because I didn't have the time blog scheduled or it wasn't a habit yet.

Make sure all projects are up to date and are not stale
I do go through all my projects once a week for a few reasons. First, to make sure I have current information when I am using my Asana. Second, to know I will not forget about something I put into Asana. Third, to allow my brian to let go of the information, because it will not be ignored.

I hope this have has helped you. Please add any thoughts or tricks you use in the comments.

To your Success.


1 comment: