Monday, August 19, 2013

Using Time Management Tools: Asana

This week I am going to discuss the use of the time management tool Asana. I am not compensated by them in anyway, although I do feel like I am selling it sometime when people ask me about what I am using for a time management tool.

Asana is a tool that essentially manages the tasks that you have to do on a daily basis. I have found that to-do software have a large variation from too simple (where you do feel you can organize the tasks well) to too complex (where you need to spent a great deal of time figuring out how to add a task and make sure you can find it again later).  I have found that Asana has that good mix between simple and complex.

I use Asana to basically write down anything that I am thinking about that is not contributing to my current line of thinking. If I am working on a project and a thought pops into my head regarding a project, I throw it into Asana. This way I am not focusing on the new idea, but it is recorded somewhere so that I can let it go until the appropriate time.



I have tried using this method before but it never seemed to work, and I discovered that I never revisited these idea rants. If you tell your brain that you are writing down the thought for later review and then never review it you are essentially lying to your brain. Sounds like a great idea until you try to let something go and you write it down but you still can't stop thinking about it. This is happening because you have conditioned your brain, it know that you are lying to it (and you are) so it doesn't want to let it go.

The best way to respect your brain and be able to continue down the original train of thought that you started down is to review these ideas on a regular basis. And believe me not all of the ideas or step of anything will be gold. The key here is that you have kept your promise to your brain

Asana is an organization tool, if you don't keep it clean and make sure everything is relevant it will go into the closet with all the other failed tools. I try to check all my tasks, projects and companies (if you have them) for relevance every week. This insures I am only dealing with the most current and up to date information.

Don't over fill your "Today" section. Only put a reasonable amount on the list. Having to move the same task to "Upcoming" and then back to Today multiple times is psychologically demeaning. Put things on your list you can and will accomplish. If you have time at the end of the day pick a few more and finish those. Above all else end your day with nothing in the today section.

I hope some of these tips helps you become better at managing your time.

To your Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment