Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Take A Learning Day

I have found that to be successful in any venture we have to have a plan to follow.  All to often after the newness and fun part of the plan wares off I find myself being tempted by other things that are more exciting
than the plan I am current following.  These are other plans that would more than likely end in the same place as the original plan.  I like to refer to these distractions from the selected path as "shinnies".

The issue is that if these "shinnies" are perused they will detract from the goal that you are trying to achieve.  May that be getting out of debt, organizing your house, completing a project at work or training to run a marathon.  The continuous little steps are what take you to your goal; keep taking those steps.

This doesn't negate the fact that many people want to learn more about things that are unfamiliar to them.  I personally try to learn at least 1 new thing that I know absolutely nothing about each year.  The best way I have found of managing this time and keeping it from taking you off course for an extended period is to integrate learning days into your routine.

These days can be used to learn about a new hobby you are interested in, learn how to use the new appliance/software/device that you have purchased recently and haven't learned it well.  This can be any number of loops that you have deferred or anything in the "Someday/Maybe" Loop.  I have also added a label "Learning Day" in Asana to make it easier to identify.

Using this method has helped me in a number of ways.  One, it allows me to get distracted, which is inevitable when you have to do things that are not fun, route that to a place that I know will be reviewed on a regular basis and get back to the boring things that need to be done.

I hope this helps make you more effective.  To your success.


No comments:

Post a Comment